Karl Skene is a Toronto-based multi-disciplinary new media artist blending light, projections, animations and sonic elements to create one-of-a-kind interactive experiences. Karl has leant his skills and expertise to projects for clients such as Red Bull, Absolut, Shopify, BMW, and others.
LED Pixel Mapping with TouchDesigner
• 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM Electric Perfume on Google Maps. Link opens in a seperate tab or window. • 805 Danforth Ave, Toronto Price • $75 (includes material fee) + HST
Register ** Registration Closes 11:59PM June 28 **
What You Will Learn
Addressable LEDs are used by installation artists, VJs, makers, and designers of all sorts. Everyone seems to love them because they are so versatile, functional, expressive, and beautiful. The fully customizable nature of TouchDesigner makes it an excellent platform for working with this creative tool. In this workshop, we will build a flexible system in TouchDesigner for pixel mapping and controlling LEDs. This will consist of a few simple, yet dynamic elements for animating lines, shapes and textures. These elements will touch on some generally useful TD practices such as 3D rendering, customized components, preset storage/recall, and integrating with music. Participants will also learn some basic UI building techniques, which can allow for a fluid workflow for both programming and performing. We will have some LED fixtures present for demonstration.
Do I Have to Bring LED's?
In this workshop, material fees are included in the ticket price. You will plug into addressable LED strips via an Artnet controlled system that is rented for this workshop.
To move fairly swiftly, a basic understanding of the TouchDesigner interface is required. There will be no introduction to the basic principles of the software. If you want to get up to speed before attending the workshop, look at the training resources available on the Derivative website.
What Do I Need For This Workshop?
Please bring the hardware listed below and have the software installed before the workshop! Unfortunately, we cannot supply computers at this time. Ensure you download the latest available TouchDesigner build from the Derivative website before the workshop. Download the software here. Ensure that a key is installed and your hardware is able to run TouchDesigner.
- Laptop (PC or Mac) with TouchDesigner 099 installed.
- A 3-Button Mouse
- Headphones or earbuds you would like to use for audio-reactive effects
- A .wav type music file to use for audio reactive effects
- Software to Install Before Workshop:
- Touch Designer
- More Information on creating an account and acquiring a key can be found here.
- Please see the system requirements here.
Workshop Attendance: In the case of the workshop not meeting a minimum amount of attendees, fees will be fully refunded. Limited spaces available, so book soon!
Cancellation Policy: To ensure participant attendance, if you have registered for the workshop you must cancel your booking at least seven days before the workshop for a refund.
Payment: Registration for workshop is through Eventbrite. If you do not wish to use Eventbrite you can pay in person at the Electric Perfume storefront. Contact us in advance to arrange a time to come in. We accept credit and cash only. Payment in person must be received by the day prior to the date of the workshop.
Interested in this workshop but the timing didn't work for you? Let us know! Gauging interest in our workshops allows us to know whether we should run them again in the future!
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us!
About Karl Skene
- email@example.com . Links to your default email application or website.
805 Danforth Ave.
Toronto Ontario, Canada
View Electric Perfume on Google Maps . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.
- Check out what's on or
for bookings or inquiries email us including
- Subject → EP Bookings - Inquiry
- Name → First, Last
- Booking Time/Date (if applicable) → Month, Day, Time + Range
- General Info → We can't wait to hear from you!
- Connect With Us
- Electric Perfume on Facebook . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.
- Electric Perfume on Twitter . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.