Kyle Duffield is a Toronto based Interactive and Experience Design Professional who creates immersive interactive media installations. Additionally, Kyle is the Director of Educational Strategy, and Technical Director for Electric Perfume, and an educator who facilitates interactive media courses in institutions such as the Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Ontario College of Art and Design University, and York University.
Interaction with Arduino and TouchDesigner
• 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM Electric Perfume on Google Maps. Link opens in a seperate tab or window. • 805 Danforth Ave, Toronto Price • $70 + HST
Register ** Registration Closes 11:59PM January 24**
** Note this is a 3.5 hour workshop with a 30 minute break**
What You Will Learn
Want your Arduino to control video, generative visualizations, DMX lighting and even projection mapping? Combine Arduino with TouchDesigner, a powerful node based programming environment with endless possibilities for interactive installation, marketing activations, generative art, multimedia performance, and more! In this full day workshop you will learn very basic electronics, introductory Arduino skills, and the fundamental concepts of interaction using sensors and inputs to control video and 3D renderings in TouchDesigner!
I Know What TouchDesigner Is, but what's this Arduino thing?
Arduino is a microcontroller that allows you to control electronic components and input data from sensors, buttons, switches, and output data to things like lights, motors and more! It's also software that allows you to change the code on the board. In our workshop, we will minimize Arduino coding and use it within the TouchDesigner environment.
This workshop assumes you know very basic TouchDesigner and little to nothing about Arduino. Missed our Intro to TouchDesigner workshop and want to get up to speed? Contact us when you register and we'll see what we can do! Basic experience with electronics is recommended but not mandatory. Don't have an Arduino or any electronics? Contact us at least two days before the workshop (January 23), and we'll have a simple starter kit with an Arduino Uno, USB cable, breadboard, switches, potentiometers, resistors, and a sensor for $46.00!
What Do I Need For This Workshop?
Please bring the hardware listed below and have the software installed before the workshop! Unfortunately, we cannot supply computers at this time. Also, if you do not wish to purchase the software ensure you download the free version here.
- Laptop (PC or Mac) with TouchDesigner 099 installed.
- A 3-Button Mouse
- Arduino Development Board (preferably an Uno, but if you have another model, let us know!)
- Electronics kit containing at least a breadboard, resistors, led's, potentiometers, and switches
- Software to Install Before Workshop:
- Touch Designer (More Information on creating an account and acquiring a key can be found here).
- Arduino Software
Workshop Attendance: In the case of the workshop not meeting a minimum amount of attendees, fees will be fully refunded. Limited spaces available, so book soon!
Cancellation Policy: To ensure participant attendance, if you have registered for the workshop you must cancel your booking at least seven days before the workshop for a refund.
Payment: Registration for workshop is through Eventbrite. If you do not wish to use Eventbrite you can pay in person at the Electric Perfume storefront. Contact us in advance to arrange a time to come in. We accept credit and cash only. Payment in person must be received by the day prior to the date of the workshop.
Interested in this workshop but the timing didn't work for you? Let us know! Gauging interest in our workshops allows us to know whether we should run them again in the future!
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us!
About Kyle Duffield
- firstname.lastname@example.org . Links to your default email application or website.
805 Danforth Ave.
Toronto Ontario, Canada
View Electric Perfume on Google Maps . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.
- Check out what's on or
for bookings or inquiries email us including
- Subject → EP Bookings - Inquiry
- Name → First, Last
- Booking Time/Date (if applicable) → Month, Day, Time + Range
- General Info → We can't wait to hear from you!
- Connect With Us
- Electric Perfume on Facebook . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.
- Electric Perfume on Twitter . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.